Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Unwritten Laws

I thought this was pretty interesting: there are rules that aren't really taught to native speakers of English, but are known anyway. By absorption, I guess.


Having done a lot of reading and writing in my time, some of it for that purest of reasons (the pursuit of filthy lucre), I'm quite uncomfortably familiar with the notion of Ruth Walker's title: "Rules no one teaches but everyone learns." Familiar because that's the way of it, really. Uncomfortable because I want to know more of the rules, the theory, the structure. My ambition is to take a side in The Great Adverb War.


And...to blog it.

1 Comments:

Blogger John Stark said...

I thoroughly enjoyed The Unfolding of Language [http://www.unfoldingoflanguage.com/]; though I am now less of a Pro-Adverb Warrior because of it.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home