Monday, June 05, 2006

Blogrolling

While I will normally just add blogs to my blogroll quietly and without fanfare, I came across a new one that made me want to point it out to my readers. Separated By A Common Language is a blog by an American living in the UK. I particularly liked the problem of "how long... it takes for a person to lose the intuition for what's in your own dialect and what you've acquired in a second dialect." Since I have lived in the US all my life, this shouldn't be a problem I have ever had to deal with. However, having also spent much of that time watching Monty Python, Masterpiece Theater, Dr.Who and all those wonderful Brit Coms (Vicar of Dibley, Keeping Up Appearances, Yes, Minister, Absolutely Fabulous, etc.) I have found that I am rather more comfortable with British English than I might otherwise have been. I also find the difference between the two dialects fascinating.

Keeping with the theme of liking all things British, I introduce you to The Perorations of Lady Bracknell. You may have noticed from my previous posts that I enjoy the "higher" English of the 19th century. I recently tried to introduce an acquaintance to H.H.Munro (aka Saki). She sat down to read a story, but could not concentrate enough to "translate" the language (I sent it to her via email so she could read it in quiet). It hadn't occurred to me that my tastes might be so esoteric. I have always enjoyed reading this type of literature. Well, Lady Bracknell may well be Saki reincarnated. She is witty, funny, and her use of the English language is nothing if not masterful. Well worth the read.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

If there is a higher compliment than being dubbed, "Saki reincarnated", Lady Bracknell has yet to hear it.

As a younger woman, her ladyship was in the habit of gracing those whose intellect and humour she admired with copies of Saki's collected works.

This is, perhaps, a tradition which she should consider reviving given that Mr Munro has generally fallen out of favour in our modern times. He deserves to be very widely read.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

Indeed he does, which is why I have endeavored to add him to homeschool curriculums everywhere.

7:20 PM  
Blogger E. S. de Montemayor said...

hi. coming from manila, british humor is rare seen, except in cable of course. Good thing I got a Saki compilation and I was drawn to its world. Every piece of his stories is memorable and laugh-out loud funny. It reminded me of John Cleese and his Fawlty Towers type of intelligent comedy.

It's a pity he's not well recognized unlike W.S. Maugham...

Still, Saki is fast becoming my top favorite.

12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home